The holidays are coming up fast, which means that many pet parents are out looking for holiday gifts for their fur kids. Finding the perfect gift for your companion animal can be fun; we all love to watch a pet enjoy a new toy or treat.
Here are a few of Greece Animal Hospital’s top pet holiday gift ideas:
- A water fountain: Many cats love to drink fresh, flowing water. Fountains encourage our finicky feline friends to stay hydrated. Just make sure that you keep the fountain clean to prevent bacterial contamination.
(Penny’s note: Mom got one of these for my brother and I, since he has a bladder issue and needs lots of water. I just love sticking my head under the spray and then running through the whole house!)
- Furminator de-shedding tool: This is one of our favorite grooming tools. It gently helps to remove excess undercoat fur and leaves your pet’s coat sleek and smooth. The Furminator comes in different sizes and colors for the perfect holiday gift.
- A microchip: A microchip is the only form of permanent identification for your pets. A microchip can be easily placed by your veterinarian. Make sure that you register the microchip afterward, so that if your beloved pet is ever lost, the company associated with the chip has your most up-to-date contact information to help with their safe return. Give your pet (and yourself!) the holiday gift of peace of mind. You’ll know that if your pet ever gets lost, there is a much higher likelihood of being reunited if he or she has a microchip.
(Penny’s note: I just got my microchip. I’ll write a blog about that soon!)
- Anything KONG! These toys can be found at numerous pet shops. So many options are available for dogs, cats, and birds in numerous shapes, sizes, and colors. They are made from a safe and bouncy rubber and are great to stuff with appropriate treats on special occasions.
- Lupine collars and leashes: Here at Greece Animal Hospital, we stock Lupine collars, leashes, and harnesses. A flashy new accessory for your companion animal may be just the thing! Lupine products are guaranteed for life – so even if your mouthy puppy chews through the leash, just bring it back, and Lupine will replace it for free.
- Pet clothing: Is your pup a princess? Is your feline on the fancy side? We love seeing our patients dressed in the latest fashions. For pets that are comfortable wearing clothes, it’s important to put your best foot – er, I mean “paw” – forward this season!
- A new bed: The most comfortable pet holiday gift is a plush comfy bed. There are so many choices available in stores and online, from fleece covered beds to supportive orthopedic beds for older pets. Everyone can sleep soundly this season!
- A bird feeder: Indoor cats need mental stimulation to keep them happy and healthy. A bird feeder placed outside a window can be a great source of entertainment for everyone in the house, and it will provide much needed nourishment for our feathered friends when it’s frosty outside.
- Travel safety items: Does your best friend ride in the car with you? Would you let a toddler ride in your car without being in a car seat? At Greece Animal Hospital, we want all pets to be safe on the road. There are various sizes of seat belts and harnesses available, and small dog and cats should be kept safe in a carrier while traveling.
- BarkBox: BarkBox is a company that delivers a package full of hand-picked toys, treats, and other gifts for your dog every month. There are multiple subscription plans available, and you can pick what works best for your buddy and your budget.
And here’s an extra tip — did you know that by shopping at smile.amazon.com, you can help local animals in need? Just choose Rochester HOPE for Pets as your charity of choice, and AmazonSmile will donate a portion of every purchase you make.
Have fun picking out presents for your pets! Post what you’re getting your fur kids on our Facebook page. Don’t worry, we won’t spoil the surprise.
(Penny and Ellie are very grateful to Amy Gifford for helping them write their holiday gift list.)